Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Somethin' to Talk About - Idol Tuesday

Okay, so, my computer's power cord is fried -- prayerfully that's the only problem, so it was either come into the cold basement tonight to talk about AI, or chance that I'd have enough time before the mind-numbing class started tomorrow to share my thoughts on my favorite reality show...I'm in the basement, so if I end suddenly, it's because I was too cold to go on!

I'm kind of digging the new way that the judges are introduced -- gives me a chance to see the full outfit and I can finally say something positive about Kara -- she has smokin' legs.

All seated, Ryan asks Paula if she stands by her predictions last week. Realizing to say "no" is to admit that she's on someone's 12-step program, so she sticks by it. Let's see how Adam SmAnt does with Grand Ole Opry night.

Hello Randy Travis! I used to love him...now he's looking a little gray. But hey -- I still love Forever and Ever, Amen.

First up, it's Michael Sarver - Ain't Going Down Til the Sun Comes Up - Surprisingly, Michael does not seem all that comfy with country. I guess, since they said he was from Texas, I thought he would be...I don't love it. Randy didn't either. Karaula says it's okay. Simon calls it clumsy and karaoke. Simon and I appear to be on the same page tonight.

Allison Iraheta - Blame it on your Heart - I can't believe she's only 16. I must admit I'm becoming a fan. She has one helluva voice and a real stage presence. Kara wants Allison to sing the alphabet and says she improves every week. Paula falls on "rock solid", but wants her to experiment more with her vocals. Simon thought it was good, but tuneless sometimes (isn't that an oxymoron?). He then threatens her with the precocious label. Randy calls her dope. Two in, and we've already had two cliches. And the show is two hours long...

Kris Allen - To make You Feel My Love - Uh...did Randy Travis just make googly eyes at Kris? Kris is going without the guitar and I was afraid that without that prop, his performance would suffer. But what remains is a lovely vocal. His voice is N-ICE. Full disclosure -- I love Garth Brooks, and I love this song. Anyhoo, the last note is a little rough for me, but all in all, I like it. Paula calls it honest and pure, but cautions him on his lower register. Simon liked it (again, Simon and I...RIGHT HERE!), and calls him terrific and says he'll go far. Randara is going to love it now too because sometimes I find them to be rather lemming-like in their critiques when they go last.

Lil Rounds - Independence Day - Okay, Lil's my girl, but unfortunately, this song does not show off her versatility. She could have rocked her some Bonnie Raitt, and I hope this does not hurt her tomorrow night. Tho I'd bet my last piece of chocolate that Simon will make them use a save on her. Randy says interesting and ambitious which means he hated it. But he does say that she does not sound comfortable. She says she wants to show she's more than an R&B singer (not sure how successful this was). Paulara are okay with it, but realize it wasn't her best. Simon rolls his eyes so hard at Paula's comments, I'm sure he's given himself a headache. Simon calls it a wedding singer performance and Lil teeters on my nerves a bit by all this explaining, but I'm too busy laughing at Simon calling her "Little" to get irritated.

Adam Lambert - Ryan makes a huge show of Randy and Adam being polar opposites and I'm hating Adam again. Randy T hates what he's about to do to the great Johnny Cash and now that he's singing, I do too. Johnny Cash and all this camera mugging do not mix. I hate this and Adam does nothing to lift his standing in my eyes. Clearly he's trying to do what David Cook did last year with Billie Jean and it's not working...and now that screech and thankfully it's over. Kara is (thankfully) speechless and calls it strange. Paula tells him he's true to who he is (a knockoff), even though who he is may not sell records. And THEN she compares him to Led Zepplin, rendering her dead to me for the rest of the night. Simon reads my mind and asks "what the hell was that?, calling it indulgent rubbish. Word. Randy calls it hot, comparing him to NIN, and now he is also dead to me until tomorrow.

Scott McIntyre - Wild Angels - I'm gonna hate this. I know it. Okay, it's ehh. I don't know what it is about...oh...he's hit the chorus and I like it more, but now it's fast and I'm ehh again. So, I was saying, I'm not completely in Scott's camp and I can't explain why, other than his voice reminds me of the guy who sang Greatest American Hero...a song I loved. In 1979. Maybe that's it. I find him dated. Paula calls him on using the piano as a crutch (even though last week they loved it...I'm dizzy over here). Simon says Paula's comment is stupid. Paula calls Simon disrespectful and it's clear there will be serious discussion before the sheets shake tonight. Simon says he's not choosing the right songs and that his performances are unforgettable. Randy says he's safe (read: boring). Kara wants him to up his game and again I feel I'm insensitive to the disabled because I think he's game's as up as it's going to get. And now I feel like I'm patronizing the guy because he happens to to be visually impaired. Oh Scott, you confound me.

Alexis Grace - My fingers are crossed because I love her. She chooses Jolene and I love her more because she chooses Dolly. I love it -- it's easily tied with Kris for my favorite performance so far. Randara doesn't love it; however, wanting a different song. Paula, in a rare display of lucidity, says this performance was effective for her. But then she's back to her happy place and says pitch problems don't MATTER IN A SINGING COMPETITION. WTF? Simon is now cranky because he knows Paula is hankty with him and disagrees with me.

[Sidebar here - if this show is long enough that these contestants have all this time to lip off to the judges, then this show needs to be 90 minutes with a rerun of Family Guy or something. I'm just saying.]

Danny Gokey - is totally effing up his rehearsal. What up with that. Which means he's going to slay it and he does. He sings Jesus Take the Wheel and he's awesome. Karaula love it and want 10 more minutes of it. Paula is obviously picking Danny as her next boyfriend in light of Jorge's early exit, plus she and Simon are beefing. Simon likes it, but because he is sane does not go overboard, but he does hate his jacket. Randy liked the chorus but not the verses. I'm on the phone now so the rest of it gets past me.

Anoop Desai - Always On My Mind - I'm really enjoying this. Am I biased. This was so much better than his last two silly performances and reminds me that this kid, despite being from Chapel Hill (the ACC tourney just finished...not a fan of anything North Carolinian right now), can sing. A great vocal. Paula pronounces him "back". Simon tells him he went from zero to hero, praising him song choice and saying it was his favorite performance of the night. Simon is all about Anoop, telling him he deserves to be there. Randara call it amazing. Well done, Anoop.

Megan Corkrey - I Go Walking After Midnight - I don't hate it, but her...um..."shoes" are distracting me, a mostly hetero girl in that dress, so I'm sure she has every teenage male vote tonight. I'm not moved. Randy is impressed, not expecting to be. Kara pronounces her a winner because she was able to sing a song in her lower register with the flu. I'm still not loving it. Simon and I depart on this, with him telling her she should have the flu every week.

Matt Giraudi - So Small - I HEART this man. I think Paula can have Danny - I'm completely Matt-tastic. He is working this OUT. Kara loves it. Paula struggles with the word authenticity (and I don't say this scathing; I struggle with the word circular in the same fashion) and he moves her to tears, saying he pierced her heart. Awww...but she needs to stay away from him. He's mine! Simon likes it, saying he doesn't get enough credit and compares him to Michael Buble. Randy notes his range saying last week they compared him to Justin Timberlake.

Okay, so, who *should* be in the bottom three?
Michael, Scott, and Megan

Who will be? My guess is Michael, Alexis, and Megan, with Megan getting the Carrie Underwood song of farewell. Although, I gotta feeling Lil might not be as safe as she's been.

That's all for now, my friends. Good night!

1 comment:

  1. I'm still mad you didn't tell me you had a blog... Anyway, great commentary. You should consider doing this for a living... :)

    ReplyDelete

I always want to know what you think! Thanks for stopping by!