Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Reflections

Hey hey now...

Thanks to the coolest, hottest, and arguably the chattiest president of my lifetime, AI has been moved to Wednesday. Yes, the economy concerns me, yes those greedy [unprintables] at AIG disgust me, but really? Did my Idol have to move? Am I a bad American or a realist? But watching the exchange between Ed Henry and President Obama was like a 2 minute version of Hollywood Week, so I shant complain too much.

I'm trying something new tonight -- AI blogging in real time. Well, in DVR time, which is about 30 minutes behind the show. DVR tells me that AI is 2 hours again tonight, so perhaps they will sing longer songs tonight.

It's Motown night on the best popularity contest in town. Hey Smokey! I LOVE me some Smokey Robinson, as does my rockin' thrasher husband. I am behind on the DVR, and didn't get to see the musings of Randaraula, so if it was good, forgive me; I can't go back because I know my boyfriend Matt is about to sing Let's Get It on. He sounds good in rehearsal...and he's sounding hot right now. This kid is bringing out the cougar in me, and I feel a little exposed now that Matt's invited me to Get It On. I suppose I understand why he got up from the piano, since they chastised Scott last week, but he didn't have to for me. I like this, but I will admit for the rest of the season that I am biased. Randy says he's great and enjoyed the run, saying he worked it out. Kara finds her own inner cougar and compliments him for leaving the piano. She calls it solid, leering all the while. Paula starts out on a very lucid note noting that pop stars today riff too dang much, and she said he had a sexy thing going on. Simon calls it a brilliant song choice, a cool performance, but told him he was cheesy for coming up to the judge's stand. Simon calls my boyfriend a front runner.

Ryan offers us a chance to buy karaoke versions of their songs. He made it sound pretty, but that's what it is.

Kris Allen -- How Sweet It Is -- Another Marvin Gaye hit...which I love whenever I hear it, so this show is beginning on a very positive note for me...or I have been beaten into happy submission in class over the last couple of weeks. Smokey compliments Kris on his version (Smokey still looks great, doesn't he?)...anyhoo, I like the beginning of this...oh, and I still like it. This Kris is good. Kara likes it, saying that he did neither Marvin nor James Taylor...and says he made his mark. Paula tells him he's coming into his own, noting his comfort on stage (okay, where is DrunkPaula? This Paula makes me uncomfortable. Just sayin'.) Simon thinks it was a smart choice, but thinks that he needs a shot of confidence -- saying he looks like he's standing at the bus stop (did Simon and Paula switch cups??). But you know, he kind of does. Randy tells him to do his thing and that it's all good. That's constructive feedback, right there.

Scott McIntyre, who's wearing pink jeans. Not mauve...not blush...pink. He's singing You Can't Hurry Love, but he's doing that easy listening radio thing to the song...let's see how it goes. He begins it on a bluesy note, and speeds it up. I kind of like this...I'm loving the backup singers (they remind me of my dream to be a Pip growing up, because it seemed like Gladys Knight had a lot of pressure...okay blogging in real time makes me seem like I have attention deficit disorder, so let me bring this home...). The fact that I'm thinking about the backup singers is a large part of my problem with Scott. He blends too well, but I enjoyed his arrangement on the piano. Mr. Berry seems to really love it. Paula says that having the singers around the piano brings a new life to his performances. Oh...the drink is getting to her a bit; talking about when he feels it, the audience feels it. Simon doesn't like it, particularly noting the honky tonk piano (which I liked) . Simon calls it cheap and warns him that he consistently chooses the wrong song and that he's not relevant (again, Simon and I -- like TWINS). Randy agrees with Simon, saying it's a hotel kind of performance. Kara likes it because it's a change from all of his usual slow treacle (my word, not hers), but she says that while his ideas with changing the arrangement were good, the execution? Not so much.

And then, what will go down in one of the greatest moments in Idol history -- Paula goes under the desk and pulls out a box of 64 (with the built-in sharpener) and some coloring books, telling Simon he acts like a 6-year old. Simon is caught so off guard he can't help but laugh.

Next up? Megan Corkrey -- For Once in My Life -- okay, why are they saying her name is Megan Joy...this *is* the same person, right? Mr. Robinson seems to like this whole Rosemary Clooney thing she's got going on, and ordinarily I would too, but...okay, I hate this. Her vocals just aren't all that good, and this cool, kind of swing version isn't saving her. She and Scott are killing my AI Happy buzz. Oh, Randy starts out with saying he's got Mad Love -- which means he's gonna hate it. And he calls it a train wreck, almost redeeming himself from comparing Adam to NIN last week. Kara says "yeah" -- more constructive criticism. But then she starts to sing a few bars of My Guy, reminding us that she (Kara) is the best singer there. Paula says she's stunning...something about her reminds me of Carrie Underwood. Paula hates it too, so there's no telling what Simon is going to say...which is to fire her adviser, "atrocious", "horrible" and says she's in serious trouble after that....but she says she had fun and her fans are still there, completely effing herself because after a comment like that, if she does find herself the low vote getter, no way will Simon use his save on her.

Anoop Desai might be about to call my inner cougar by singing Ooh Baby Baby (I must note that this is one of Walter's all-time favorite songs, and he got this look on his face when he heard Anoop was singing it as if to say "if this sucks I will fly to Hollywood for the sole purpose of kicking some AI a$$). Okay, so, while Anoop has a lovely upper register and I think this is *nice*. It's not a standout by any stretch of the imagination yet. I'm kind of ehh on this from start to finish...definitely didn't move me like last week. Kara says he did a pretty good job, and while it wasn't technically great, he has a great skill set. She must get paid by the word because she took like 200 words to say that. Paula calls his performance sweet and tender. Simon said it was a great vocal, but said he looked half-asleep, and that it hedged on boring. Randy, I think, liked it. Walter agreed with Kara, and I give him a vote because he loves this song so much.

Michael Sarver - Ain't Too Proud To Beg - I hope that Michael takes Mr. Robinson's comments to heart, because I didn't love the practice. Uh...he doesn't. What is up with this stutter-step dancing? Has this kid never heard this song before? Once again, Michael does not look comfortable at all, and he should have listened to Paula shredding the art of unnecessary ripping, because he's doing too much. I'm glad this is over. Paula says it feels old Las Vegas to her...she didn't like it, and she apologizes to him because she hated it. Simon agrees that it was painful after a while, but then he slams him way hard, telling him he has no chance of winning this competition...saying he's just not good enough. Michael lips off, but it doesn't bug me like it usually does. Randy says the song is too big for him, that he doesn't have an R&B vibe. Kara just keeps heaping it on (and really? Why must they continue with their criticism after what Simon said? What else is there? No Santa Clause? Sheesh).

Hey Lil with the cute hair!! She's singing Heatwave...and she looks adorable! I do like this, but honestly? Not as much as I thought I would. I'm not out of my chair like Paula, but I love her voice and she does the end well...I kind of see where Randy is coming from with not liking the beginning that he didn't feel it. I'm with him. Kara actually makes a great point when she said that everyone was expecting her to rock it tonight, and she didn't...and that's exactly it. Not that it was bad, but it wasn't as good as what I expected. Paula disagrees, and that she really liked it...my guess is that Simon is going to agree with Paula because he totally crushes on Lil. Okay, I was wrong. Simon calls her authentic, but that her song choice was wrong. But he softens his blow by telling her that they all know she's one of the best singers in the house.

Adam Lambert - the Tracks of my Tears - okay, he's gotten the hair off of his face, and he's pretty doggone cute...but the hair -- reminds me of Ken Doll. But here it is...write it down...because even I'm not expecting what I'm about to say. I love this. For the first time this season, I find him interesting..I love the acoustic take on it, his falsetto is lovely and not stupid, and okay he's losing me with that last note, but it's rather Maxwell-ish and I'm on board tonight. Adam owned that. It is an across the board hit with the judges. See? I think THIS is the real Adam Lambert -- that whole rocker thing is schtick, but when you pare him down to brass tacks, leaving a lovely voice, a GORGEOUS falsetto, and a damned good performer. Nicely done, Adam.

Danny Gokey -- Get Ready -- didn't love him calling Mr. Robinson "Smokey". So those parents that made him sing his homework didn't teach him manners? You meet the great Smokey Robinson and you call him SMOKEY? UGH. Children. It's a great performance, which is not to say it was a great vocal. Paula loves it, Simon calls it clumsy and amateurish, Randara are on board...what are they running out of time, or are they still caught up in Adam's performance (and I don't mean that in a bad way, because I kind of am too.), because they just kind of rush through their critique and it's over. It was, as Walter just said, competent.

Okay, so are there commercials after every performer? Sheesh, that's why it's 2 hours long. I've almost caught up on the DVR.

Allison Iraheta - Papa Was A Rolling Stone -- I'm not excited about this, but it might be because I'm sleepy. She took the lyrics with her in to practice, and at first I was like...wha tha? Then it dawns on me that this child was born in 1993, so she probably doesn't know the words to this song off the top of her head. I like this...it's good. Her voice is a lot older than 16. It's really good, and the ending takes it to a vocal that I really enjoyed. Randara love it...Kara is so effusive in her praise she kind of scares me. Simon has drawn a mustache on Paula...does anyone wonder why she sat still for that? Yeah, me too. Simon calls it one of her best. She rocked!

Okay -- so bottom three...Michael, Megan, and either Lil or Danny immediately going back to the sofa of safety.

Okay...now I'm really sleepy, and I have to work myself up to go to class...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always want to know what you think! Thanks for stopping by!