Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Old Motown Records

DVR has held American Idol for me until this evening, when I'm hopeful that I can blog and post before the elimination show. I caught some of the performances last night, but ...well, I'm getting up REALLY early nowadays and sometimes I just don't have it in me to stay up late. Excuse me while I go get a vitamin.

Okay, so tonight, the show begins backstage, showing the Idols, and also shows the judges paired off Kara/Randy and Ellen/Simon. Like we don't know who the real couple is...Ryan gives us his "this...is aMERICAN Idol", and the judges come down the stage rightly paired. And I don't know what has happened to cause this romance to blossom between Simon and Kara but I like it. Ryan still owns my love for turning what could be the geekiest, most useless job in Hollywood since Vanna started turning letters into the coolest thing ever. It's hard to call my bigger crush these days...Simon, Ryan, or...Kara. Her hair looks AMAZING.

Tonight is R&B night and Usher is the mentor. Yes, he's young, but I don't take nearly as much exception to this mentor as I did last week. Usher's a talent, a proven talent and plus, I don't know, since he broke down at Michael Jackson's funeral, he's endeared himself to me quite a bit more. Not that I disliked him, I just wasn't all that interested. Usher claims that he's going to challenge them to be a great performer, which I can maybe see. I challenge Usher to take off those damned sunglasses. He promises to be brutally honest, because he wants them to be good, and, okay. I can live with that.

I'm really curious to see how quickly I can get through this show forwarding through all of the filler. Probably 20 minutes or so. But I do pause because Ryan pulls out his shades to chat with Usher...and he looks like a Secret Service agent. A cute one. We find out that Usher's new album drops today, which probably also gives us some insight on why he wanted to do AI THIS week.

First up, Siobhan, who's doing Chaka Khan's Through the Fire. And...no. She does have a big voice, but not a Chaka voice. But I freely admit that I don't think she has as much control over her voice as the judges apparently do. Usher says that what separates Siobhan from the rest of the pack is her unique vocal ability, and that she has a true shot at being a true artist. Oh, her eye makeup is lovely, but this isn't slaying me, oh, and this arrangement has a very awkward transition, but we have to hurry to her big voice. Cuz more and more, she's all about that [yawn]. What the hell was that note? Oh, this is a mess. This song is way too big for her. Waaaay too big for her, and I hope this doesn't hurt her. Okay, so she did a couple of her big notes nicely, but the rest, and I do mean the complete rest of this was a mess. I'm afraid, as I said to my friend Alenka today, that I'm starting to like her more than her voice these days. Randy says he doesn't think this was one of her shining moments, but he still loves her. And he likes her outfit...I don't. It's a bit of a mess. Ellen agrees with Randy, comparing her to a hiker who lost her way. Kara reads my mind (but not my blog) saying that the big notes were there, but that the little ones are. She says she's entitled to an off night (translation - there are people who suck more than you). Simon says it sounded to him like she'd run a marathon and was singing while she was running. He says it was so all the place, and the paid heckler shouted "boo", and...hello? She sucked. Simon says it's by far her weakest performance yet, that she's kidding herself if she thinks it was good, and that he's tiring of the screaming at the end. And Simon? Word. Siobhan says it was her biggest challenge, wanting to take a risk, and even if she didn't kill it (to which Simon said "oh, you killed it". And. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA), she wanted to show her versatility. Okay, let me explain this - take a risk to show the range of your voice, but not so much of a risk that you reveal the weaknesses of your voice. It's kind of like a job interview when they ask what your biggest weakness is, and everyone knows that you can't really say what your biggest weakness is - like you can't say "I get completely bitchy when I'm under pressure and have been known to cry in the hallways and run screaming into my director's office saying WTF". No, you have to say "My biggest weakness is that I tend to take on too much and I'm too dedicated to my work to let it go", spinning your negative into a positive, even though everyone knows that's bullshit and we kind of need to let that interview question go...anyway...

The voyeur in me kind of likes this glimpse backstage, but really? If that's the different between an hour and 2 hours, we can let it go.

Hotness is singing Hold On, I'm Coming, but Sam and Dave (?). Usher is being completely hard ass, telling Casey that he's a rock star and it's okay to forget the words. Okay, don't try that. Ryan says this song has never been performed on the Idol stage. Really? There's one? My goodness this guy is cute. And he's a good performer, which, as I say week after week, carries him though his voice isn't the strongest voice - he's a nice, and very very pretty, package. It's a Casey performance, nothing that we haven't seen before, I think. Randy's into it, shouting yo while the applause is still going strong. He says it was another hot night for him, that he's safe in his element, and that he showed a lot of vocal range. Ellen says he's consistently good, but that it felt a little generic. I'm with you, E. So she's not on his safe bandwagon. Kara says he's been using only one part of his range, and that these performances are actually limiting him. Simon thinks it was his strongest week so far, noting that this was not a sound alike, appreciating that he rocked out to an R&B song. Seriously? R&B is SO close to Rock & Roll it's not even funny. So it's not that big of a jump. In my opinion.

Next up, Big Mike sings Ready for Love, by India.Arie, and he should OWN this. Well, he better own this because this is one of my favorite songs...ever, and if he effs it up, he's going to go on my list. Okay, he gets the delivery on this right...just him and maybe can I hear some strings? This song is so beautiful and simple, he's doing a great job of being quiet and just letting the song tell the story. I really like this. A lot. I think he's doing a wonderful job. STOP WAVING YOUR FREAKING ARMS MOSH PIT! Very nice, Mike. Very nice. Randy says he's in the zone, loving all of his performances. He then goes into some sort of rant that makes me think he's got the Paula cup tonight. Ellen loves it, as does Kara, who says she never heard the song before he chose it...say wha? Kara is about to break up with Casey AND Simon and fight the wife and the new baby Leila for Mike's affection. Simon says this is the first time he can take him serious as an artist, that even though it's not one of his favorite songs, but that he put an original stamp on it, and he believed him as an artist. Nicely done, Big Mike.

Didi Benami is singing What Becomes of the Broken Hearted, which...really? Didi starts to tear up during her rehearsal with Usher, and isn't Didi the one that I said would have a nervous breakdown before it was all over? Bless her heart. But to be fair, if I lost my best friend, and thought of her every time I sang a song, I'd cry too, so I'm going to let her have this. Okay, so I can't explain it - this was supposed to be better than it was. A great song, a great voice, a lot of emotion, and yet, it's not and she was yelling at me by the end of it, and uh...this didn't work for me at all. Randy says the entire performance fell flat for him, that it never went anywhere, and yeah, I see what he means. Ellen starts that she's going to boo herself! Hee...she goes onto say that it was dramatic, and that she was a fan, but that it was too dramatic, not her best performance. Kara just calls it like she sees it "it's overdone, Girl". Kara says she doesn't know who she is anymore, that she's moved away from her singer songwriter vibe. Simon compares it to swimming in jelly (put down Paula's cup), saying that it should have been easy, but it was a bit of a mess. I'm paraphrasing, but that's what he said, he agrees with Kara that she's lost her way and that's she's no longer contemporary. He then says that on "one of those dancing shows, they have a singer murdering a song"...and well, that's just one of the best moments in Idol history. Ryan, during the recap, tries to get her to talk about the friend she lost, which she declines to do, which I admire, but at the same time, she kind of stunk up the joint and perhaps a sympathy vote wouldn't be the worst thing here. Ryan kind of tells her story for her, which was a good compromise.

Okay, we went out to dinner, so I will not be posting before the elimination show, but will be done before they are, because I absolutely don't need to watch the elimination show!

Next up, Tim "Peter Brady" Urban is singing Sweet Love...SERIOUSLY? This is going to get on my nerves; yes, I am owning my closed mind right now. During his interview he says that he couldn't forget how much fun he had during the performance to stop smiling during the judge's critique last week. Anyhoo, his mentoring with Usher is funny as Usher invites him to sing to him - I think Usher gives him credible advice, but I think the best advice would have been "pick a different song". Oh and he starts sitting down, making me hate it even more before he utters the first note. Okay, so the good part? He got most of the notes right, but this is the cheesiest performance, ever. He's turned one of the best love songs, like ever, to this remake you'd hear in McCormick and Schmick while you wait for your table. Walter heard this last night and said..."I'm going to go take my shower and pretend I never heard this". And. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Well, that's time out of my life I'll never get back. Randy compares him to a singing waiter (heh), that it was pedestrian, but at least he was in tune. It had a complete utter lack of swag, saying it had nothing. This was like a piece of Zwieback toast, that tasteless crap that toddlers drool over when they are teething - absolutely no flavor whatsoever. Ellen just says "Man!", that it was boring. Again, I'm projecting, but she wonders why he took that song on. Kara says he took the soul out of the song (he SUCKED the soul out of it, really), that it was a combo Broadway and Vegas and uncommercial. Simon starts laughing, and when asked why, he point blank says that it doesn't matter what the judges say, that he's a mouse picking a fight with an elephant choosing that song, but that he would smile and he'd get voted through to the next week so "well done". Classic.

Andrew Garcia takes on Chris Brown's Forever. Usher calls him on his nerves and tells him if he wants it, he just needs to go out and do the damn thing. I've never heard this song before, so I have no basis of comparison, but I am LOVING this - his acoustic guitar, a cello,and the big drum on stage...and it's REALLY nice. Oh, the strings are in the audience. Okay, I have a little style something for Andrew - can they maybe get him some eyeglasses that can decide if he wants to be Weezer or Buddy Holly, because being in the middle is distracting. But it's not distracting me from this is the best I've heard Andrew sound in a long time. This was a REALLY good performance that I think may have gotten him back in the game. Randy says enough yos that I know he agrees with me, and he does. Ellen says that it was a great performance and Kara is doing a little fist pump, so she likes it to. When Kara gets her turn she says that was a giant leap in the right direction. Simon says it was miles better than the last few week, that he's back to where he was. He does note, however, that he's boring, comparing him to "the guy that's going through", and I think that where he was going with that before he got interrupted was that Tim is sailing through on personality even though Andrew is infinitely more talented. But it doesn't end there - Mrs. Garcia takes Simon to task and can I just say I love this moment where Andrew warns his momma to be nice, and can anyone with a crazy momma out there just totally relate to that moment! Mama Garcia starts yelling at Simon in Spanish, which is funny!

Oh, now we have Katie Stevens. Remember when I said, in an earlier blog, her cuteness is going to wear on me. Well, it is. She's singing Chain of Fools, and I don't know how to explain it, as Walter was saying he didn't think it was as bad as I thought it was. It's not that I think it's bad, it's just ...just. Here it is. I think Katie is as good as she's going to get. I don't think she's going to have a breakout moment, no matter how long she stays. She's very, for lack of a better word, affected. And as someone said to me last night, enough with the neck rolling already. Yes, technically competent - but it's enough already. And what the hell is she wearing? Lovely girl, lovely face, but I'm ready for her to go, I think. Randy says her performance was slightly disconnected, but that her vocals were one of the best of the night. He then just goes full on bat sh!t crazy by comparing her to Christina. And like my friend Isunji said, unless we're talking about Christina Applegate, I have no idea who he's talking about. He's certainly not talking about Christina Aguliera. Kara says she's found her nitch - R&B Pop and obviously I didn't hear what they heard. Simon, once again, shows why the show needs to end if he leaves by saying that comparing her to Christina Aguliera is crazy. He wouldn't have taken on that song, and he makes me love him even more by calling Randy on it in a "tsk tsk" manner. He thinks that Kara is wrong with what type of artist she is, and Simon just tells Katie if she has to choose whose advice to take, if the choice is between Kara and him (Simon), then she should listen to Simon. Thank you, Captain Obvious. Ryan asks her who's she's going to listen to, and she says "myself". Which, was so awesome when Crystal said it, because hello, Crystal knows who she is. Katie needs to listen to someone - she's the alpha chick in chorus from her high school who seems to not be adjusting well to being a tiny TINY guppy in a HUGE pond. Yeah, her time might be up for me.

Next up? Lee Dewyze is singing Treat Her Like A Lady, by the Cornelius Brothers. And thank you, Lee, for telling me who the artist was. He further endears himself to me by saying that he just wants to create a moment by showing what type of artist he wants to be through his performance. He doesn't fall into the sympathy Ryan is trying to elicit by admitting to his pneumonia. Usher tells him to be more confident, and Lee kind of reminds me of David Cook early on...he really doesn't believe that he can win this whole thing. Uh, I hope he believes it now, because this performance is kickin'. This is completely awesome! His vocals are always on point, but what he's got going on tonight is...confidence. He's facing the camera dead-on, showing those beautiful eyes and a really good stylist. Okay, I had to rewind this, watch it again, and this time I didn't type at all. And I've paused the DVR to say this - my highest praise - he rocked the almighty sh!t out of that. That was AWESOME! He reminded me a little of Billy Joel, a little of Springsteen, and that was a great performance because you could almost see that he KNEW he killed it (and not how Siobhan killed earlier). Rarin', Lee. Randy calls it the best performance of his in weeks, and it was the best of the night, if he wasn't listening. Ellen says the night has started now (8 artists in), and that it was his best. Kara says it was amazing, and that it could be on his record. Simon says he's always believed in him, even when he didn't believe in himself. He notes that he has a hard time making hard contact. He tells him to go home tonight, watch the show and realize that this is the night his life may have changed forever. And I have goosebumps. Ryan invites him to embrace the applause. Nicely done, Lee. Very nicely done. Casey, I might be about to cheat on you with Lee. Just sayin'.

Note to self: get the first season of Glee on DVD so you can catch up.

Next up, Crystal is singing Midnight Train to Georgia, by Gladys Knight. Ms. Gladys is one of my favorites, like ever, and because Crystal is my favorite, I'm all right with this choice. She changes it up by playing the piano, and she plays it nicely. JULIA STILES. I have been racking my brain all season to figure out who she reminds me of...it's Julia Stiles. Well, you know I don't type when Crystal sings, she's so good. I could live without the background singers around the piano. I think I just don't like that. I didn't like it when they did it last year with Scott either. Of course, Crystal shows her lovely range, but I can tell she's not totally comfortable without her guitar. That was good, lovely even, but for the first time this year, she's only my second favorite performance. Randy loves her outfit, and drops Ms. Gladys name, and Crystal calls her Gladys...but I think I forgive her for it, because it was kind of a "wow...that's cool. Tell her I said hey." Ellen loves it, saying she's in it to win it, and loves that she changes it up. Simon says it was a great song choice, and I believe said her vocals were spectacular in some places (how's that for high praise?), but that he didn't like the backup singers around the piano (!!!), but says, don't change too much, that she's real and he loves her just the way she is. He promises her that she will be fine if she just keeps doing what she's doing. Translation - even if by some fluke you lose this thing, I'll be signing you, so don't piss me off. Crystal promises to never be anything other than she is, and it's a beautiful moment for everyone. Not as beautiful as the one Lee had, but quite frankly, she can rest on her laurels for a bit.

Finishing up the night is sweet Little Ed Norton, singing Bill Withers. In a windbreaker. But I love this kid, I love his voice, and while I can't say this was my best performance of his, he should get through to the next week. This was definitely better in the rehearsal, but I think it kind of hurts Aaron that he doesn't really grasp Usher's advice of the "I knows." There are 23 "I knows" in the original version of this song - Mr. Withers is basically yelling at himself for cheating on this woman, his sunshine, so he's supposed to get gradually more disgusted with each "I know". Anyhoo, that's what they mean, and it's 23 times he says it, so by the time he gets to "I gotta leave young things alone", he's just pissed with himself. And Aaron doesn't quite get it, which is why this song is a bit too old for him. Incidentally, please don't ask how I know that other than long commutes over the years, and that my mind tends to be a safe deposit box for completely useless information. And, this is one of my absolute favorite songs. How many times have I said that tonight. Yeah, R&B is kind my thing. Anyhoo, Randy likes it. With a little "l", he wasn't that effusive with his praise. Ellen says she wished she had that kind of confidence when she was 11. And. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Kara likes it, but wasn't in love with it, thinking he could been more soulful, and I agree with that. Simon uses Lee as an example, calling him the main course, that Aaron is a bit of a cupcake, but that it wasn't as good as last week, but that should sail into the next week.

And there you have it! My choice on the bottom three? Katie, Siobhan, and Didi. I think Didi's time may be coming to an end, but if I had just tuned in tonight, Siobhan would SO get the boot.

Okay, I finished DVR, and turned on the elimination show and there's Diddy, and I can't help it. I love Diddy, despite this unusual habit of changing his name every five minutes. He's full of himself, and in your face, and ordinarily I hate those characteristics, but on him, I love it. He's such a fine example of how money just makes some people HOT. He's stylin'!

Good night, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always want to know what you think! Thanks for stopping by!