Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Forever Young

Okay, so, by now those of you who hang out on Facebook know that I lost my Grandmother today...and while I have some thoughts on that, for now I'm content to lose myself in Idol Tuesday. Thank you for the condolences and the well wishes...and with that...

DVR knows what's been going on, so it was faithful enough to record, even though I didn't get home until almost 10. So I don't know who's made a mess of what tonight. Starting off, I notice that we are down to 2 ladies...I'm betting that the new Idol will be a man. Just playing the odds. I'm also thinking that Ryan's "This. Is AMERican Idol" will become a part of television lexicon, joining Chuck Woolery's "two and two" and Don Cornelius' "we wish you love, peace, and SOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL". I wonder if Bryan (or was it Ryan) Dunklemann, the genius who decided that American Idol wouldn't last beyond Season 1 and declined to be a cohost is still drinking.

Tonight, it's songs from the year you were born, and we are treated to baby pictures of the hosts before the show begins. Randy was cute; Kara looks as pissy as she is now; even Ryan comments that she looks in her picture as she made a poopie. Paula Abdul is adorable...but it's not a baby picture. Neither is Simon's, and despite his protestations that it wasn't him, you can tell that it totally IS him. And Ryan was an adorable kid, which is no surprise.

It' the Elite 8 on American Idol. Starting with Danny Gokey. The oldest contestant on American Idol was born in 1980. Oh for pity sake...I was in 5th grade when Danny was born. FIFTH GRADE. I was practically old enough to drink. He's doing Stand by Me, a version released in 1980. Pretty sneaky, Sis. (Another commercial reference for those of you who were born BEFORE 1980). First off, I like the rimless frames on Danny. Okay, this version speeds up. Interesting. Oh... Paula's on her feet already! This promises to be fun. Okay, so...I *liked* this. It was fine...his vocals were Danny-like, but this did not blow me out of the water. I don't love this arrangement after all. Oh, Randara doesn't love the arrangement either, but he loves Danny, so it's fine that the performance was eh...Kara comment that he made it his own. Paula says he's opened the show and set the bar so high that everyone will have to run to catch up. Simon asks Paula why she talks like that (just now? he questions it). Simon says the beginning was good, the middle was lazy, and the end was terrific, which means that Danny is definitely a frontrunner because they were not at all snappy for a performance that I thought was a teeny bit phoned in.

Next up? Kris Allen - All She Wants to Do is Dance, by Don Henley, 1985. Okay, by 1985, I had friends who had driver's licenses...gracious. So tonight, Kris is in the mosh pit and I am LOVING this arrangement of this song. It's very very funky and I'm loving it. Paula is sitting down showing blatant favoritism -- THIS is making me tap my feet. He's got a great voice, and even though this song didn't exactly showcase that, I enjoyed this performance. Kara feels like funking it up cost the song its youth and didn't love it. Paula didn't like it because she starts off with something that makes no sense, she likes him, but not the performance. Simon says it's indulgent, boring and forgettable. Simon then, when the audience calls Kris hot, saying he is too, but that's not what it's about. I kind of agree with Randy when he says that the arrangement was so good that he failed to notice his song. Everyone's eh...

Lil Rounds -- What's Love Got to Do With It...and she starts with the little Tina stutter step. And how nice for her that she's got hot wheels (translation -- great legs). Lil looks gorgeous tonight -- she's making me want to go back to my stylist and get bangs. Okay, so maybe my mood isn't Idol-riffic...I don't love this. It's almost as though Lil kind of blows through the beginning of her songs to get to the power part, and it's really kind of mediocre, and I hate typing that. Okay, Paula begins with how hot she looks (but what the hell is Paula wearing on her arm? It looks like a badge), but whenever Paula begins with physical, she's not a fan of the vocal. And she wasn't, giving a lucid critique of the song, saying that she's kind of starting to sound karaoke. I'm with it. Simon attempts to paraphrase Paula, and calls it a ghastly copycat performance, saying that he's lost her and doesn't know who she is and that they are not looking for a 3rd rate Tina Turner. Okay, so the stutter step seems to have hurt her. Paula points out (correctly) that is what she said and Simon says he makes more sense than Paula...and with that, Simon has a nickname: Captain Obvious. Randy breaks up their spat by once again reiterating that they love her, but the bloom is off the rose - Randy says that he doesn't think Lil is listening to their critiques (Simon also said that she's either getting bad advice or she's not listening). Kara says she thinks Lil is struggling to make the leap from singer to artist, and I can almost see what she's saying, and then she says she has to pay attention to her lower register and not just the power, and once again, I wonder when AI will call me for a job.

I don't normally comment on commercials, but 1)I think I may need an iPod touch, and 2) I want to see this chick flick with Jennifer Garner and Matthew McConaugHEEEY, because I like her, and well, he's just...good.

Anoop Desai starts off by saying Go Heels,and I can guaran-darn-tee you that I will not like what he sings, regardless of what it is because of that comment. Apparently, Anoop got hankty last week with Kara and he apologizes for lipping off and says he wasn't himself. I missed that. Anoop was born in 1986; I was in my senior year of high school. Anoop was an absolutely beautiful child. He's singing True Colors, a song I love. And if he weren't a TarHeel fan, I'd tell you that once again, Anoop's ability to sing a ballad is amazing. I love to hear him sing when he's not trying to impress his Mathletes friends by singing Usher (and when he's not talking about UNC). I was going to comment that his inability to speed up the tempo will ultimately hurt him because it's not versatile, but then I remember that Baby Archuleta got to the finals the same way...so we'll see. Randy congratulates Anoop on the UNC win (dead to me), and likes what he did and says he's impressive, that it was a nice, controlled vocal. Kara says he controlled the song, and not the other way around and she, along with Paula praise his song choice, and then Paula takes a sip of kool-aid and says his voice was truly magical, like a rainbow. Captain O gives Paula the look, saying this week was good, but that last week was abysmal. He then says that Anoop doesn't have to apologize for his reaction, that it's a back and forward. Kara says she doesn't remember the exchange, and even though she seems sincere, I'm not sure I buy it. Kara doesn't seem that easy going, and if the Idol mansion was tp'd after last week's show, well then, we know who to call, don't we? Anyhoo, he's four for four with the judges.

Scott McIntyre -- The Search is Over (is this REO Speedwagon?) - Scott has lost the piano and has a guitar. And oh Scott...what to say. The vocals are credible, I think, but...I don't love this either. I found his guitar playing to be clunky and not nearly as effortless as his piano playing, and the falsetto made me uncomfortable. I don't hate it, but he just doesn't have enough Idol Equity with me at this point for me to be ehh about this. Kara says she wouldn't have picked this song as it's a very difficult (SERIOUSLY?) , that some parts were ambitious. Paula gives him credit for stepping away from the guitar but that she was surprised it wasn't acoustic, and while some of his high notes were screechy, overall she says "bravo", and right here, I'm calling bullsh!t on Paula. You say all of that and then you say "bravo" why, exactly? Yeah, Scott is a sweetheart and I do enjoy him personally, but none of that has anything to do with the fact that he is a solidly mediocre singer and the "bravo" is a "bravo for being visually impaired and doing all this". As much as I feel like I've patronized Scott this season, I've never done that. [folds up soapbox and puts it away]. So Simon tells him to stick with the piano, and that he is obviously not comfy now and that the song was atrocious and that the guitar playing wasn't much better. Randy says it was just all okay and didn't show him as one of the best undiscovered singers in the country (because he ain't). Scott tries to lip off and they cue the music, which makes me laugh, oddly enough. Moving on...

Alison Iraheta was born 1992 - and I wasn't a student at all...I was just a working slob in the city (which is different from now...uh...wow) She sings I can't Make You Love Me, and this better be good because this is one of my favorite songs and I think I've demonstrated I'm not in the mood for much tonight. Sixteen...damn girl! You can sing! She does Ms. Bonnie proud, and the jazzy lilt of her voice complements this song well. It's great, in my opinion. Paula says that you hear one note and you know it's her and some other stuff that I don't know because again, I'm blinded by her wrist medallion. Simon says he thinks it really good, but says she needs to be more likable, but amends it, saying that they just don't know her well and that on a show like this (read: popularity contest) that's important...Randy compares her to Kelly Clarkson, and tells her to engage the public more because she's one of the best singers tonight. Kara loves it and says that Allison took this song and made it young...but did she really? Allison's hook, in my opinion, is that she has such an old voice.

Matt Giraudi - another cute kid - Part Time Lover - this could be a mess...let's hope it's okay. Okay, I like it - Matt's got his Justin Timberlake on full display, and it doesn't bother me. For some reason, I have this really inappropriate crush on Justin Timberlake. He was in a boy band, he flaked on Janet during the Superbowl Wardrobe Malfunction, and he dumped my girl Cameron Diaz, and yet, I just think he's so talented and sexy, I almost giggle when I see him on tv. Paula's on her feet working her Fly Girl moves. I see her hugging on Simon and I wonder if it's a coincidence that she's hugging Simon during a song called Part Time Lover (or, if she tripped -- I can't dance when I'm drunk either). Okay -- I really loved this, but they just may comment on him losing himself in the arrangement. I don't think that's true, because I liked that jazzy scat thing he was doing...yes, this worked for me. Randaraula are in heaven -- the all love the hell out it -- Randy saying it was the best of the night. Paula says "two words: standing o". Simon rushes through his critique saying it was so much better than last week, and very well done, and I wonder if they are pressed for time. I kind of thought that performance deserved more basking.

And, I see why they rushed because DVR cut off at 9:01. And apparently, this show didn't end until 9:05 maybe...DAMMIT! DVR let me down. I'm going to check You Tube real quick...I feel like my blog is not done...

Okay, I found it on Photobucket (I'm committed to this). Adam Lambert sings Mad World, a song I never heard before, so I have no basis for comparison. Having said that, when Adam Lambert was a baby God reached down and touched his vocal chords. His voice is incredible. I'm not sure I love the song, but I know that I just heard a really incredible vocal, and unless this kid effs up royally, he will be in the finals for Season 8. Again, get rid of the ridiculous make up and the screech and just sing, Boy. Wow. Simon can barely contain himself, notes that he's the only one talking due to the time crunch and stands up. That might be the first ever standing ovation from Simon. Well done, Adam. I did a little research on Wiki, and it appears this song was a Pre-Everybody Wants to Rule the World from Tears for Fears. Impressive.

Okay, that's a wrap...bottom three? Oh it's gets hard at this point, but on the strength of tonight's performances -- Scott, Lil, and I'm pressed to pick a third.

G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always want to know what you think! Thanks for stopping by!