Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Final Countdown

Okay, so, DVR and I will be headed to relationship counseling. After getting Alex down (and getting a coworker off the phone), I return to DVR to find that it did NOT tape the first 10 minutes or so. I get no Ryan waxing philosophically about how this is the most important night in their lives, no Paula talking bat sh!t (my new term, I think) crazy talk about anything and everything, no Simon asking Paula why she's so crazy...no, I get Adam singing, so I'll dive in.

Adam is singing Mad World, a good choice, as this is the song that most of DVRing America didn't see that night when Idol ran over. Once again, he does a great job, but if I remember what I saw online correctly, I think that I liked the first time he sang it more. Randara loves it, and Kara makes a good point that he raised the game this season, making the other contestants think about what they were doing. Paula and Adam have a lovey exchange, and not in a call-19-Entertainment way, but an bff-way that's kind of endearing. She tells him to bask in this moment and the audience just goes wild. I think Simon felt like Adam was moving in on his woman because he picks on the performance aspects of it, the dry ice and the long coat Twilight thing. So even that was a backhanded compliment, because comparing anything to Twilight is good, and will put him in a good light. Yes, this is Adam's to lose.

Kris is doing Ain't No Sunshine again, on the piano, which I can't remember if he had it last time he did this...? And once again, I love this. How I love this. While I think that Adam will have to screw up royally to not win, I don't really think Kris winning would be that big of an upset -- this kid can sing. Kris' wife is looking all lovingly at him (at least, I think that's his wife). Randy (what the HELL is Randy wearing...he looks like a test pattern) notes that this is one of his best performances ever. Kara's cougar competes with mine, as she notes that he connects with everyone with his song. This time 19 Entertainment zaps Paula under the table as she says something about Kris Allenizing all over her. Simon starts off by saying that he wasn't sure Kris was the right call for the finals, but that he takes it all back after that performance...and you know what? I believe him! I remember that look he (Simon) had last week after Kris covered Kanye...he never thought he'd end up in the finals. After that, I absolutely believe this is the right two.

I know for Round Two that Adam sings A Change is Gonna Come because before I went upstairs, I turned it on, saw him RULING it, and made myself turn it off to watch it in its entirety. Okay, so this is one of my favorite songs, and I am very funny about people singing it. I realize it's words and music and copyrights, but it's so much more for me. Maybe it's because it was released posthumously by Cooke (something I just found out), and it's become not just a song for civil rights, but a song that is so hopeful that the world will ultimately become more than it ever was. And I feel like you need to *get* that before you start singing it. For instance, if I were to ever hear Miley Cyrus sing this song, I would boycott free radio, retreat to a cabin, and write a manifesto. Having said all of that, Adam sang this song SO well. He got the yearning, the hope, he got it all and it was great. And he contained the screech perfectly. I liked this...these boys are in it to win it. Randy says it was unbelievable, and that he can sing his face off. Kara says it was his best performance ever. And Paula...okay, it was Randaraula tonight, with their individual cliches. Simon says he's back in the game with that performance. Nicely done.

Ryan notes that it must be a big night because Simon is wearing buttons...and...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Kris Allen is singing What's Going On -- okay, is it me, or has Kris gotten cuter since last week? Damn...anyhoo, I like when he does this with his songs, and I enjoy this. Not sure I feel it's a performance on par with Adam's, but it was really well done, and I liked it. Randy thinks its a little light for this point in the competition, but hello? This was not his song choice...so why ping him on that. Kara says he's been true to himself and compliments Simon Fuller on song choice, I think, as a reminder to the audience that he didn't pick the song. Paula says that Marvin Gaye would have been proud. Simon says he didn't grab the song and make it his own and that it was too laid back for tonight. Maybe that's what Randy meant, but really, this is not a song that's supposed to be loud, and I know they get that. It's meant to raise consciousness, and it doesn't lend itself to the crescendos/decrescendos that A Change is Gonna Come does. Me thinks that the judges realize that Kris is in very real danger of winning this entire thing, so they have to attempt to sway the votes as much as possible. Not a conspiracy, just a thought.

Adam's last song of the night is a song I've never heard, I don't think. Oh, is this the Idol Treacle Tune? Let me rewind...yes, for some reason I thought they were singing this song tomorrow. The Treacle Tune, No Boundaries, is the *prize* for winning this competition. And for someone who watched Fame religiously, I am all about uplifting show tunes...but the Idol Treacle Tune is more miss than hit with me. And this is...okay. I'm kind of eh about it...Randy says it was just all right for him, that it was a little pitchy. Kara loves it because it's a song she wrote (so, naturally, she thinks it's great) and she thanks him for singing it. Paula thanks Adam for what he's bought to Season 8, and that she's a forever fan, and I kind of see them having mani/pedis and mojitos together. Simon clearly hates the song, but sings Adam's praises as one of the more original contestants and that he genuinely believes that he has found a superstar.

And then Ryan tells Adam he's a class act and that he never wavered from who he was this season and HELLO HAS EVERYONE FORGOT THAT THERE'S ONE MORE SONG? Sheesh...oh, Ryan says that Kris is singing after the break. Too little, too late, Seacrest, glad you could get Adam's boot out of your mouth to remember the other contestant.

Okay, so my friend Joe said that Kris struggled a bit, let's see. Awww...yeah, I hear a lot of nerves in Kris right now. Or maybe this song strains his register. Having the two of them sing the same song shows that Adam is more comfortable on stage. But, I will say that the earnestness of Kris' voice suits this song better than Adam's. Randy starts off that he should be very proud of far he's come. Kara admits that this song is a bit high for him, but that she wants people to vote on the season. Paula says he's done a great job to get where he is tonight...Translation from Randaraula - they know he probably won't win, but love him. Simon, now, I kind of love what Simon said -- he said that his first performance was his best (yes), and also that he deserves to be up there, and notes how far he's come from that guy who had no confidence during the auditions.

Okay, wrap up, and this was a good night. I like Kris, and I like how Adam invites folks to vote for Kris, because again, you can be charitable when you've got it sewn up. But again, I think that Kris will have a very nice career after this. I can almost see this being a replay of Season 2, where Ruben won, but arguably Clay Aiken has had a better career. He also, in my mind, mesmerized me with being the only person on the planet who thought he was in the closet. God bless him. But I digress. The show ends with HEY!! Carrie Underwood! You know, I love her! (Hey! Lucky for AI, I chose to DVR Glee as well to see the rest of Carrie!) I love recaps. Aww...remember Norman Gentle?Okay, this also reminds me of how much time I have given to this show!

So, I honestly think that Adam will win. And I honestly hope that Kris will...he's earned it.

Good night, friends!

1 comment:

  1. Great recap of AI. I so wanted Danny G to win, but think Adam and Kris are so different it is hard to pick one of them. The AI song fits Kris better. Guess we'll find out tonight!

    ReplyDelete

I always want to know what you think! Thanks for stopping by!